Begonia semperflorens-Hybrids, Wax BegoniaItem no. C3700, C3700 / P
- Dwarf habit
8″ / 20 cm
Sun - Shade
Pelleted & Raw
- Uses: Packs, pots, containers and landscape
- Exposure: Sun - Shade
- Garden height: 8″ / 20 cm
- Crop time: 10-16 weeks
- Sow time: December onwards
- Sowing method: 1-2 seeds per plug
- Germination*: Light is required for germination. 5-10 days at temperatures of 75-80 °F (24-26 °C), and relative humidity levels of 95% or higher. For pelleted seed, slightly higher temperatures and 100% relative humidity aid in uniformity of germination. pH levels of 5.5-6.5 are optimum.
- Growing On: Transplant plugs after 7-9 weeks and grow on at 62-68 °F (16-20 °C). Fertilize weekly with 150 ppm nitrogen watching to avoid excessive salt buildups.
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 0-20 % perlite, 1-2 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH: 5.5-6.2
- Temperature: Grow at 17-19 °C. For selling harden the plants at 7-10 °C and UV light. B. semperflorens does not tolerate frost.
- Fertilization: Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 100-150 ppm nitrogen, using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels, because the foliage can grow very big. Avoid pH above 6.0, as high pH causes iron deficiency. Apply chelated iron, if chlorosis becomes a problem. To prevent magnesium deficiency apply magnesium sulphate (0,025 %) 1-2 times. Avoid high salt levels in substrate.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.