Carmencita Bright Red
Castor Oil Plant, Castor BeanItem no. U8051
- Seeds are poisonous, do not eat or feed and keep away from children!
59″ / 150 cm
- Uses: Attractive solitary plant for border or container, medicinal plant, ornamental leaf plant, oil plant
- Exposure: Sun
- Garden height: 59″ / 150 cm
- Crop time: 9-10 weeks
- Sow time: February for selling from April onwards; March-April for selling from May onwards; Mid-End June for selling from August onwards
- Sowing method: 1-2 seeds per plug, sowing directly in final pots is recommended
- Germination*: 6-12 days at temperatures of 70-72 °F (21-22 °C)
- Growing On: Grow on at 58 °F (14 °C)
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 0-10 % parts (e.g. perlite), 1,5-3 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, 0-5 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer (3-9 months), iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH: 5.8-7.0.
- Temperature: Grow at 12-15 °C. Temperatures below 10 °C are tolerated for a short time, but the growth is inhibited. For selling it is recommended to harden the plants slowly at 10-12 °C. Ricinus does not tolerate frost.
- Fertilization: High fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 300-350 ppm nitrogen (at 0 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer in substrate), using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium levels. Prevent magnesium deficiency by applying magnesium sulphate (0,05 %) 1-2 times and in case of iron deficiency apply iron-chelate for 1-2 times.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.