Fiesta del Sol
Mexican Sunflower, TithoniaItem no. W4261
- Glowing orange flowers, compact habit
- Ideal for containers and borders, attractive summer flowering pot item
- Compact habit
- Heat tolerant
30″ / 75 cm
Sun - Partial shade
Bedding, Potplant, Landscape
- Uses: Plant for bedding, summer pot and container plants, attractive for bees
- Exposure: Sun - Partial shade
- Garden height: 30″ / 75 cm
- Crop time: 12-15 weeks
- Sow time: February-May
- Sowing method: 1-3 seeds per plug
- Germination*: 5-8 days at 64-72 °F (18-22 °C), light is required for germination
- Growing On: Grow on at 53-59 °F (12-15 °C). Tithonia does not tolerate temperatures below 49 °F (10 °C).
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 20-30 % clay, 1-1,5 kg/m³ of a complete balanced fertilizer, iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH: 5.8-6.5.
- Temperature: Grow at 12-15 °C. Tithonia does not tolerate temperatures below 10 °C, even for short time and this can cause for red-brown or yellow leaves. Tithonia does tolerate high temperatures.
- Fertilization: Low-moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 100-150 ppm nitrogen, using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.